The Manoa Falls Trail will take you through dense jungle that is lush with a shady canopy, bamboo forest and huge trees that will make you feel like you are in a jurassic park movie (minus the dinosaurs). The movie Jurassic Park was actually filmed in this area! Just 1.6 miles up you’ll see Manoa Falls, a beautiful 150 foot waterfall and pool (no swimming allowed). The trail has a slight incline and can be muddy, so dress accordingly and apply inspect repellent before you start out. Don’t wear flip flops or sandals!There is a fantastic hidden jungle hike on the Hawaiian island of Oahu, which you will love if you’re a traveler who enjoys heading off the beaten path. The trail is hidden in a residential area called Manoa Valley just 20 minutes away from Waikiki Beach in Honolulu.
The entire hike is pretty easy and can be done in under an hour, so it’s a really fantastic and easy way to experience a truly Hawaiian jungle hike even when you’re on a beach vacation.
How to Get to Manoa Falls
- Follow Kapahulu St out of Waikiki up to the H-1 Freeway
- Take H-1 West towards the Airport
- Take the Punahoe Exit
- Follow Punahoe Road up towards the mountains
- Punahoe Road turns into Manoa Road
- Follow Manoa Road all the way up to the top.
There is a parking lot by the trail head which costs $5, though I would suggest parking in the residential streets below for free and walking the additional 1/4 mile. Look for the sign designating the Manoa Falls Trail (pictured below). If you don’t have a car, it’s easy to get here by bus. Just take the #5 bus which stops on the residential streets just before the entrance.
- On my visit I had some not-so-great hotel experiences — I had been avoiding the pricey beach-front options which did not turn out in my favor. I called Expedia who moved me to the Waikiki Beach Marriott for a fantastic deal. The open-air lobby was filled with fresh purple orchids! It’s located across the street from Waikiki Beach, has a pool and five restaurants. $229/night + 20% off when booked on Expedia with a flight.
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort is a beachfront 22-acre resort property. Complete with a spa, 20 dining venues and a swimming pool with water slides. $151/night + $30/day resort fee.
- Hilton Waikiki Beach is just steps to the beach, newly renovated, has a swimming pool and the rooms offer both ocean and mountain views. $206/night.